Thursday, December 29, 2011

How To Break It Down & Break Through Paralysis, Steps 5 and 6

Step 5, Get Moving - You've hit the bottom, you've hung out, you've panicked, you've pity partied, and you've figured out that you are responsible. So now what? It's pretty obvious, isn't it? If you don't like where you are, you need to get up and move.

As obvious as that is, I didn't figure it out on my own. Someone else had to tell me to do it. The truth often hides in plain sight. And she just meant to literally move. It has done wonders for me. Every single day (okay, I have missed a few), I take a twenty minute walk, whether I feel like it or not. I walk when it is warm, I walk when it is cold, I walk in the sunshine, I walk in the rain, I haul ass, I drag my feet. But I do it. If your life is stuck and stagnant, it means that your insides are stuck and stagnant, and one of the best ways to get all of that moving is to get out of your head and into your body. It sounds too simple, doesn't it? That's why it works.

Step 6, Be Still - I know, I know. I just told you I had to get moving to break out of being stuck, and now I am telling you that I have to be still. Balance in all things. When I make the time each day to both get moving and hold still, I find an equilibrium that is missing when I don't do both of these things. What I have found is that when I don't take the time to be completely still each day, I move without intention, and this is how I find myself in places I would rather not be. If you don't know how to be still, there are tutorials online, and even better, you can find someplace local to practice being still. For Phoenix folks, here is one such place.

No comments:

Post a Comment