Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Kamikaze Pilots

You once told me
that you
dreamed of us
in a house
where a kamikaze pilot
flew overhead
and came
crashing down
straight
into our formerly safe
haven

You tried to run
but I held
you
there
just wrapped
you up
in my arms and
held you
while we died
by fire

You explained
to me
that it was
because
I knew
that if you
survived
you would be
burned
so terribly
that it would
mean
a lifetime of suffering

You told me, too
that it was
you
in that plane
you
were the
kamikaze
pilot
who crashed
into
us

You sent us up
in
flames
but then
you
said you had been
confused
you simply recognized
the
pilot

it wasn't
you
after all
it was
you
you
were confused
I was
confused
my arms
were supposed
to be
strong enough
to hold
you
through
this
but somehow
I forgot
that
when people
are
afraid
they tend to throw
back
their heads
and
when
you split my lip
I lost
my grip
and
couldn't bring
myself
to
quell
the flow
you
ran
like
the river
on
fire

You.
Me.
Spontaneous
combustion.

It was never the way I had envisioned death.

No comments:

Post a Comment